Saturday, August 20, 2005

Screwed by Ikea

Now, when you go to Ikea you're supposed to be the one doing the screwing together of your purchases, not the other way around. But you know us and by now you must know our bad luck too. We made a smart decision and decided to go to the Ikea in Baltimore today right when it opened, as we were to meet my friend, Robyn, later in the morning for brunch. Thus, we avoided the hordes of overeager bargain hunters that descend on the store on Saturday.

We ran into major road construction on the way there and were forced to target shop in a 30 minute time span. We were looking for a kitchen end counter unit to hold our microwave, a desk for Kevin, a work table for my office and pillows for the guestroom. Running through the store we were able to find everything except my table. I found an alternative but they were out of stock.

Lucky for me, on our way home we passed the other Ikea at College Park and I convinced Kevin to stop in and look for my table. We wandered through the whole maze of pathways with screaming kids and rabid shoppers to no avail. Finally in the marketplace downstairs we found the table for the $129 that it was advertised for on the internet and found the self pick-up location. (For those not familar with Ikea, the items have an Aisle and Bin number that you must locate in the warehouse to pick-up heavier, but not hernia inducing sized items.)

Off we ran to the warehouse to pick-up our item and check out. We arrived at Aisle 17 Bin 7 to discover it empty, but then, guided by the table angel, we looked up and found the item on the shelf above. No price tag. Hmm. Ok, well the sign had said $129 back at the display.

Around the corner we came to discover the lines. It's not at all uncommon for the lines to be twenty people deep on a Saturday afternoon and they were deeper than ever. We queued up with all of the other eager bargain hunters. When you wait for over 20 minutes, and it's finally your turn at the front of the line you're expected to be ready, credit card in hand and UPC codes at the ready. We were ready.

Scanning, zapping, signing and we left. That's when I stopped and thought...$158? That doesn't sound right. We bought sponges, but they sure didn't cost over $20. We arrived home and I looked it up online: $129. I called the store and waited listening to their chipper robot voices telling me that this is their busy season and they'll be with me in a minute. 20 minutes later the clerk asked me where I saw the sign in their giant monstrocity of a store. I gave him vague directions and after another 15 minute wait on the phone, my $20 loss at the hands of their computer system was confirmed.

But then the other shoe dropped, as it always does. I have to go back there to get my refund. I have to find the sign myself and drag it up to customer service. The thing is, it'll cost me $20 in gas to go back down there and come back home to receive my refund. So thus, we've been screwed by Ikea. Buyers Beware!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home