Friday, August 19, 2005

Bed in Repose No. 9

There's nothing like naming photos of your furniture to sound like a piece of art (incidently this was the ninth photo I took of it). Just look at this beautiful new bed. And it has an even better story to go with it.

After looking at over a dozen furniture stores with no success, I walked into the Storehouse in Gaithersburg one day and hello 'Java'. My new bedroom furniture just called out from across the store. I hurried over with salesclerks in tow who were eagerly anticipating a sale and circled this beauty with its exquisite matching dresser sets. I was in love (yes, I still love Kevin, but I have room in my heart for new furniture!)

But then I found two problems. First, there was a footboard to this quasi-sleighbed and Kevin had given implicit instructions that he was to be able to stretch his feet over the edge, so no footboards allowed. I picked up a brochure and found that they had a platform version without the footboard, "Bingo!" But then I looked at the price - way too expensive.

I won't be crass and discuss figures, but suffice it to say, if we bought this we were going to live with it for a long time - until we die long time. But still, I had my heart set on it. The week went by and I showed it to Kevin, I took him to the Roomstore where I found something I could live with, but I knew my heart would always be pining for 'Java.'

That's when I looked for an outlet and found one in Leesburg. Down to Virginia I went, only to discover that this was truly an outlet store, everything was badly marred and I knew I wouldn't be able to repair anything myself. Dejected and not sure what to do another week passed. On a whim, and because I knew that I couldn't live with myself if I didn't try, I drove over to Baltimore to the only other Outlet Store within a reasonable driving distance. This was really an outlet with items piled everywhere. But the things didn't seem quite as hacked up as the other store.

That's when it happened. I walked into the bedroom section and there leaning against the wall was a beautiful Java queen size bed in the exact color that I wanted, chocolate, (don't ask me why they name everything after food.) It was too good to be true. I pulled the frame away from the wall and checked all over and no marks or scratches. I couldn't believe my luck. But still, too expensive! That's when the salesclerk came by and said that everything in the store was an extra 20% off of the lowest marked down price.

I couldn't believe my luck. So I asked her the question that I was dreading the answer to, "What's wrong with this bed? Why is it here?"

"Nothing," she replied, "it was returned as the customer didn't like it."

I quickly called Kevin and we agreed, Java all the way. We're now the proud new owners of the bed we wanted in perfectly good shape at 40% of the original price!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home