Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Neon Yellow is Not Clear

Over the past few months I've gotten a crash course in home repair and maintenance. All of these odd sounding items that I've never even heard of (hasp, compound miter saw, DAP sealant) have become part of my vocabulary. Despite my new vocabulary, every day I'm learning and yesterday was no different. Yesterday's Lesson: Clear is not actually clear it's neon yellow.

Ok, that sounds weird, but who was I to know what "clear" silicone sealant looked like when it dried? My Dad sent me out to buy silicone sealant for around our bathtubs and I figured no problem. I pictured Home Depot having a small section labeled "silicone sealant" with two choices. Yes, then I snapped out of it. This is America and this is Home Depot, why on earth would I think they would have only two choices? This is the home of consumerism, consequently there were dozens and dozens of choices. Silicone sealant for inside, for outside, for bathrooms, for kitchens, for windows, for cakes, for cracks in your shoes (ok, so I'm exaggerating).

The point is I was overwhelmed and a little harassed by the sheer choices. I wonder why every time I have to buy an item there are a hundred choices to choose from and whichever one I get isn't "exactly" the right one, but it'll do.

Saturday my Dad used the sealant around the Jacuzzi bathtub where there are very white tiles,with the very new, white grouting. As you can see by the photo they must have mislabeled the bottle, because this sure isn't clear...it's neon yellow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home