Thursday, August 31, 2006

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

We fell into the trap of many new homeowners and thought a garden would be a 'lovely' addition to our new home. So in the late spring (much later than we should have) we started growing seeds in these cardboard egg crates that we bought at Home Depot. We were green (pardon the pun) and had no idea what we were doing. So we planted 5-7 seeds per hole and thought we would be good to go.

Fast forward to now, late summer, and we have close to a dozen gigantic tomato plants, which were apparently hardy enough to survive me. I say 'me' specifically, because Kevin is out there tending the garden every morning or evening. He sprays for bugs, waters and picks vegetables, while I'll occasionally glance out the window to make sure we still have a garden. When he goes away on business there are frequent calls urging me out into the garden. But as I'm always running late in the morning, the plants are lucky to be hit (quite literally) with a quick deluge of water from a bucket.

So the hardier ones have survived their inhumane treatment at my hands and now we are inundated with tomatoes upon tomatoes. The problem is, so is everyone else and we have no one to give them to. And before you ask, I'm not adding the talent of canning to my repertoire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home